Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: My new iPad problem

COW Forums : Apple iPad

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim WilsonRe: My new iPad problem
by on May 25, 2010 at 2:48:50 pm

[walter biscardi] "Also look in the App Store to see if your favorite site has an App."

Does HuffPost have an iPad app? I didn't see one. iPhone apps make me sad. :-)

Many iPad apps are gorgeous...so much so that I rarely visit the site any other way. IMDb is breathtaking. Not only pretty, but far more useful. eBay is another - worth downloading just to see how good the site SHOULD be. A spectacular improvement.

Accuweather.com is another one of those apps you'll use to show other people how cool the iPad is.

Amazon's app is nice, but only if you're shopping. If you need to do things with your account like track past orders, you'll need to do that on the site. At least I haven't found any other way yet. Still, a nice iPad app.

New York Times Editors Choice is a subset (obviously), and since they're trying to charge for access again (even though last time was a bust), I suspect that a more complete paid version is coming. That said, much nicer to read on the iPad than on your desktop.

One of my favorite paid apps is Instapaper. It lets you download stories for reading later. It saves them as text with some very nice controls for customizing the view. You can also save stories from anywhere, including your desktop computer, and sync them to your iPad. Reading long stories is so much more pleasant on the iPad using Instapaper that, again, I no longer do so on my desktop. Worth every penny of $4.99.

One more little tip - for .99 you can pick up Atomic Browser, which has many, many improvements over Safari (not that hard to do, alas), including tabs, and a full-screen view that toggles the address view at the top. You'll be surprised at how much real estate you recover. It also has a feature that allows you to tell sites that you're using another browser, say, Internet Explorer. It unlocks some features of many sites, and can sometimes be the only way to get to the non-mobile version of a site.

In the meantime, I'm definitely looking for more website apps. They really are one of the things I enjoy most about my iPad.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Don't forget to rate your favorite posts!

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:
  • by on Dec 31, 1969 at 4:00:00 pm

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
    © 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]