Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Thunderbolt or Internal Raid 0 faster (and maybe an SSD)?

COW Forums : - ARRAYS & RAID Set-Up -

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Neil RedmanThunderbolt or Internal Raid 0 faster (and maybe an SSD)?
by on Mar 21, 2012 at 2:54:43 pm

Hi, I am looking to upgrade my whole editing system over the next months and have to say that I'm somewhat confused about internal and external transmitting speeds.

I'm planning to use a SSD to run my system and applications and for my video files I want to use a Raid 0 setup.

I was thinking of maybe going Raid 5 but don't really see the advantage in it, since a Raid doesn't really substitute a backup, and so I would have to backup the Raid 5 anyways. Now I'm planning to have my Raid 0 backed up to something like a Drobo. Also as I hear it a Raid 0 is still slightly faster than a Raid 5. Is there anything wrong with this thinking?

Now my main question is if an internal or an external Raid 0 would be faster. I've already done a little bit of research and most opinions appear to go towards an external Raid but the reasons are mainly because 4 discs (in a Raid 5 setup) produce to much heat internally, which wouldn't matter, I suppose if I have a Raid 0. Another reason for external seems to be that it is easier to upgrade the harddisks, but I wouldn't mind opening my tower when I need to do that.

My main concern is the speed of the connection. I'm always reading about the amazing speed of thunderbolt but I don't know how that relates to internal hard drives. So would an external thunderbolt enclosure be actually faster than internal HDD's or are internal disks still the best way to go?

And should somebody still be reading then I've got one more question about SSD's ;) I was thinking of maybe using SSD's as my Raid 0. Now again I was looking around about opinions for that and the concensus always seems to be, SSD's are way too expensive for video storage and then the argument is quickly dismissed. I would like to hear if somebody could offer some insight on how much of an speed advantage that would bring. Because in my opinion today 128 or 256GB SSD's are actually somewhat affordable and the projects that I'm editing are actually not that huge. So a Raid 0 could give 500GB storage space what would be enough for my purposes and for stuff like stock footage, archiving etc. I would use another drive.

So I apologize for all the question, knowing that a lot of that has already been asked, but I had the feeling that all of the answers I could find were based on factors that didn't really apply to my special case.

Best regards and thanks if you're still reading ;)

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]