Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Whats wrong with thunderbolt? promise and sonnet vs current mini sas/pcie arrays

COW Forums : - ARRAYS & RAID Set-Up -

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Frank GothmannRe: Whats wrong with thunderbolt? promise and sonnet vs current mini sas/pcie arrays
by on Feb 23, 2012 at 5:41:38 pm

I agree that it's a welcome, speedy option for smaller devices and portables. The main problem I have at this stage is that there is little information out there as to compatibility, chaining order and how devices actually influence each other and eat bandwith. So, yeah, I'd also be a bit cautious. There is not enough hardware and real world usage reports out there at the moment - and there might be a reason for it.
Data flow is never constant if you have multiple devices connected and/or only one controller in the machine. Your footage may come from one but also from two raid arrays or a SAN. How many streams, how many audio channels, same goes for video io (single link or dual link sdi, how many audio channels), how many displays, Raid plus a magma box etc. etc.
If it's just one raid you have connected all is dandy but at a certain point, something's gotta give and depending on your usage and connected hardware that bottleneck may become noticable during critical work or during a playout. And it's hard to predict and to calculate. There have been reports where video io, raid and two monitors brought it down already.
On another note: why not get a beefy small Raid box that connects via SAS? It's cheaper then a TB raid and you have guaranteed bandwith, regardless of other cards and peripherals, that goes way beyond what a TB raid would provide.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]