Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

NAS and multiple Workstations

COW Forums : - ARRAYS & RAID Set-Up -

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jon KlineNAS and multiple Workstations
by on Jan 8, 2012 at 2:51:55 am

I'm in an office with 3 Macs running FCP 7, with gigabit networking and a Seagate NAS 220 6TB in RAID 0. We had very good luck with sharing project files and media files using the NAS. Even complex projects with multiple codecs, multiclip edits, etc., played back very well.

Now, 6 months later, the NAS isn't able to keep up. The old projects still play just fine, but new projects skip and glitch in FCP. I can sustain 35 MB/s with a single file but once I start pulling multiple files, everything slows down. I've tried FCP settings, a different router, restarts, codecs, firmware, yada yada and I'm pretty sure it's just too much work for the poor NAS to handle. Does this make sense?

What are my other options for editing video from multiple workstations? Is there another NAS in the under $600 range that can keep up with video editing? Or should we just go back to local drives until we can afford to play with the big expensive hardware?

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]