Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Mac Pro, ATTO R680, iStoragePro 8-Bay (6gb/sec) = RAID 6 and Confidence Crisis. What Now??

COW Forums : - ARRAYS & RAID Set-Up -

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mike MasseRe: Mac Pro, ATTO R680, iStoragePro 8-Bay (6gb/sec) = RAID 6 and Confidence Crisis. What Now??
by on Sep 25, 2011 at 11:12:44 am

Status update:

Decided that the 18TB volume created with creating a RAID 6 volume from 8 x 3tb drives was simply too new - it hasn't been possible to do this (for only a few thousand dollars), and OS/X (10.7.1) hasn't had a enough time in real world. A 18 TB puts a huge number of eggs in one basket.

4 x 3tb Raid1 volumes has following benefits:
- gives me enough storage for a while (year?)
- keeps volume size completely within the typical range
- creates discs which could be pulled and (as I understand it, but need to test) could be read by the OS directly, without a raid car.
- means some juggling of data, but acceptable.
- has the advantage in FCPX (don't laugh..) of not mounting some volumes and keeping event catalog size managable without using the steve marting ".dmg" trick.

OK... so moving a head with this, but one of the raid groups (mirrored pairs of discs), shows status onlline but gives me a persistant blinking green dot.

During the build phase this group, there was red dot (instead of the red exclamation point on the other groups during rebuild).

Current Green Dot:

Detail:

In Context:

Current plan is to wait until Monday, and call ATTO Tech Support. The tech support team as been well above average, but the "ATTO ConfigTool Help" does not have explanation for these dots.

Comments on wisdom of RAID 1 welcome.
- fewer eggs in each basket
- drives may be more recoverable without striping and parity
- forces me to keep data in 2.5tb chunks max, which means backup onto 3tb deskstars via drive dock is pretty easy way to get a backup off site.

-m

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]