Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Win 7 go from 1 disk no raid to 2 disk raid1 w/o re-install?

COW Forums : - ARRAYS & RAID Set-Up -

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Fred JodryRe: Win 7 go from 1 disk no raid to 2 disk raid1 w/o re-install?
by on Sep 13, 2011 at 3:01:23 pm

Bob, do it the easy way.
1. Step one, take your Windows boot drive, label it with a written on piece of tape and put it on the side (or duplicate it if you want a spare).
2. Step two, take the remaining (pair?) of drives, zero them out, label them too, then take them to a friend`s computer where firmware or good software awaits to prepare them for RAID formatting of the RAID type you need. Then do it and return. You can even prepare this RAID formatting of about- to- be- Windows drives on a Mac easily!
3. Step three, Take your boot drive and new RAID set and miscellaneous DVD drives and toss them back in. But if you have tape drives about to go back in leave them for a later step lest they get mixed into the hard drives RAID. Go to the BIOS and set it from IDE to AHCI. Use "My Computer?" in Windows to then reformat the RAID set from generically RAID to formatted for Windows and still RAID. The read descriptions on the monitor will usually mark the RAID set as a single drive unless you look closely. If this doesn`t work right away then move the cables order "willy nilly", scribble a few notes and try again. My motherboard seems to want to make early or low number or letter drives as RAID drives and later ones as the boot drive and other uses but the documentation and BIOS directions are feeble. Nonetheless do it. You might have to rename drive letters in "My Computer".

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]