Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: LM-2140W basic questions

COW Forums : Flanders Scientific

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bram DesmetRe: LM-2140W basic questions
by on Jul 7, 2012 at 6:06:58 pm

No, the d shaped connector does not really compromise the signal. In theory you could have signal degradation sooner if running very long cable lengths, but for all intents and purposes there is no real sacrafice there. And you are absolutely right, analog component over bnc connectors is a great choice and why our monitors use bnc, not RCA, style connectors for these inputs as well.

I think perhaps I'm overcomplicating this for you. If the camera has serial digital output you can be pretty much be guaranteed that is your best bet. If it only has HDMI and Analog Component you may want to test both to see if there is a significant quality difference, but more often than not they will be very similar. HDMI just tends to be more finicky withe respect to compatibiliy with various monitors whereas component out to a monitor with component inputs tends to just work with less fussing.

However, when we are not talking about cameras, but rather I/O devices for NLEs, etc. then I would suggest avoiding HDMI when and where possible. Unless you are just getting poor quality from your analog component output for some reason (like a poor quality D to A conversion) then I would always opt for that over HDMI. Of course with respect to such I/O devices for editing and color correction this is all quickly becoming a moot point as equipment with Serial Digital output is quite affordable and becoming much more ubiquitous. If you have SDI use that. If HDMI is not giving you any headaches then by all means that is also feasible, but if you ask around I think the general consenus you'll get is that HDMI is just a pain to use in professional environments whereas the biggest headache with analog component is just dealing with some extra cables.

As with anything your mileage and personal experiences may vary, but I've never heard anyone say Analog component is the devil, whereas with HDMI that is often some of the kinder feedback you will hear.

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]