Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: D3200 Nikon

COW Forums : DSLR Video

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andy SchroederRe: D3200 Nikon
by on May 29, 2012 at 7:38:07 pm

I've had one for a few weeks now. Upgraded from the D3100 that I shot my last short on (search imdb for "retcon" for a trailer) for better manual control, + slow motion filming options. The D3100 could shoot manual but you had to go through a process of tricking the sensor into the right settings which was cumbersome so the full manual controls are really welcome to me.
So far I'm very happy with the upgrade, at ISO200 the video is super clean even in very dark situations, but if you go to ISO400/800 it's not only noisy, but the noise is very distracting and non-uniform the way it flickers on and off screen. If I had to pump up the ISO Id go to ISO1600 cause at least the noise is uniform at that point, it's very grainy at that point, but not flickering/distracting. I'm filming with nikon's 35mm F1.8 and Tokina's 11-16mm F2.8 and I have a lighting package, so filming at ISO200 is fine for me in most situations.
The new processor is much better, I've yet to induce much "jello" in handheld situations whereas with the D3100 I had to be a lot more careful about this. I've been averaging about 23mbps on it on the "high" video settings, I used to max out on the D3100 around 21 with 18 as an average, and those few extra bits in their codec are noticeable, I get more textured video on close ups so far.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]