Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: what lens?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Steve CrowRe: what lens?
by on May 19, 2012 at 7:53:04 pm

I don't think there is much good news for you.

Based upon the image you provided, you would be quite a long ways away from the stage which means you definitely need a zoom. Also, of course you are going to be at an angle to the stage. It also means you are going to need a:

1) tripod or monopod to stabilize your camera and help eliminate jitters

2) IS or some brands call it OS for optical stabilization I believe. With a zoom every tiny movement your hand makes to disturb the lens is magnified

3) A Looong focal length - maybe someone else can give you an estimate on the length needed based upon your picture

4) Lens with the ability to shoot at a very open/fast aperture - say something like a 2.0 - WHILE at the long end of your focal length, say 500-800mmm

Now I don't have a clue what focal length you need, I understand you can buy cheap "lens extenders" that give your lens more reach but at the cost of light loss and maybe even some softening of the image.

What it all comes down to, and I'm sorry I haven't gotten to the point until now, is that the lens you need is going to be very expensive. I don't see any likelyhood of you finding a cheap alternative that is going to work for you. Not every shot is possible with the equipment you have, I don't have any long lenses at all so I can't do wildlife videography with my T2i but since I typically only interviews humans in the same room with me, I'm able to live with it, ha ha! :-)

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:
  • what lens? by Suley Suleman on May 19, 2012 at 7:03:22 pm
    • Re: what lens? by Steve Crow on May 19, 2012 at 7:53:04 pm

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter