Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Is BlackMagic Going To Forever Change the HD DSLR video World?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeff LesterRe: Is BlackMagic Going To Forever Change the HD DSLR video World?
by on Apr 18, 2012 at 6:30:20 pm

Star Wars was a low budget film? I did not know that. They used S16. If you want your movie to have no production value, I suppose you could go with the basic handheld shots using the Arri cams right out of the box.

The Digital Bolex is like a gun. You hold it via one pistol grip, which is super awkward. I would prefer buying handle extensions for the BM Cine Camera rather than hold a Digital Bolex. Keep in mind, too, that the Digital Bolex is being made by a very small, un-established company that is getting their funding on KickStarter. Blackmagic is experienced and quite large. Also, the RED Epic and Arri cams are MUCH much larger than the BM Cine Cam in terms of size and weight from what I can see, so you also have the advantage of a compact camera.

But honestly, you seem to have a lot of knowledge. You see how well the Arri works with its included shoulder rig. The RED Epic, Panavison cams, all REDs as a matter of fact, need some sort of after-market rig. As a cinematographer, you don't see this new cam as being completely revolutionary?

Also, you need to arrange your shoots so that you do have time to spend a few minutes setting up your camera rig and set so that it will meet high expectations. This camera could save you $77k potentially. Wow.

Zacuto is doing a video shootout with a variety of cameras, such as the RED Epic, Arri Alexa, all the way down to the 7D and the GH2 (hacked). I suggest you partake in one of the screenings. It's basically to show that if you have the right cinematographer, any camera can look excellent. I think you'll be surprised.

You've seen what talented DPs/Cinematographers have done with a GH2 and 5D -- Imagine what they could do with a fully-featured cinema cam (even though its awkward shape). Think about it.

Member of iFrosh

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]