Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: I'm just wondering... Why don't ALL DSLRs come equipped with an option to shoot totally RAW videos?!

COW Forums : DSLR Video

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Steve CrowRe: I'm just wondering... Why don't ALL DSLRs come equipped with an option to shoot totally RAW videos?!
by on Apr 14, 2012 at 1:37:05 am

"..Why do only professional cam-corders and professional film cameras (i.e. Arri Alexa, Panavision, etc.) have an option to shoot totally, 100% raw videos ...?"

Because that would be just too awesome!!

I think storage does play a role, perhaps bit rate and card speeds too but most of all I think it is seen as a premium feature that they want to reserve for their most expensive cameras as a purchasing incentive. It's a bit cynical of me but I think it's just a fact that manufacturers often "hold back" certain features so that they can construct an entire line of products and to give the buyer an incentive to spend a little more money on the next model up (or sometimes a LOT of money)...and some of the decisions as to what feature goes into what model seems pretty arbitrary, in other words not related to a technical or cost consideration but to a business/marketing decision.

For instance, the entry level Canon T2i COULD from an engineering point of view could have more of the features of the 5D MII and MIII but instead they have the 7D which gives you a taste, a little bit more but if you want, say full frame, hey that's going to take you up to at least the 5D level or now the C300 or their newly announced cameras.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]