Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Nikon D7000 Video Quality

COW Forums : DSLR Video

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Rob ManningRe: Nikon D7000 Video Quality
by on Apr 9, 2012 at 9:11:13 pm

Hi Stephen,

Both cameras will have a capture of around 2mp density in h.264 plus or minus, but not enough to consider one over the other (IMO).

What will matter is the exposure, noise and f/stop on the glass.

For available light or staged lighting, since you already own the Nikon glass, it doesn't make sense just for the fraction of perceived detail at 2 + or - mp.

Since there are commercial release films now, Act of Valor, Like Crazy etc. that have been shot on video enabled DSLR's, and that these films are in theaters (Like Crazy 7D @ 18+mp's) the question becomes a personal choice.

More important is the attention to what any DP/DIT team would be concerned about, shot construction, lighting, filters, using the camera strengths, DOF can mask moire/motions blur, and all of the rest of the reasons that DSLR video has attracted so much support.

The rest of that equation is transcoding into ProRes, AVID, CineForm or another high bit-rate enabled codec to squeeze, envision, tweak and finesse the footage.

We shoot a concert this Saturday, in available venue light (800 seat) for stills (my D3S) and video, 2-D7000's, 1 5DMK2, 1 T2i' and a spare plus I may finish buying my D800 which awaits 15 minutes away.

That being said, everyone will be in neutral, non-auto ISO and we will meter for each camera position for settings on f/stops etc.

The T2i operator wants to rent a 400mm zoom.

I have assigned him the long shot rear of the room by the console position because of the crop and his 70-200 with the 5DMK2 closer using the same lens.

T2i, said he prefers the 400 for tight close ups on the players hands at that distance and is a volunteer, so by all means, rent away.

My point is, there are so many mixed formats going into post these days, that cameras do matter of course but not as much when handled using proper technique and creative ability.

HTH's

Rob

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]