Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: ND filters for HDSLR

COW Forums : DSLR Video

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Richard van den BoogaardRe: ND filters for HDSLR
by on Jul 30, 2010 at 7:34:13 pm

Since DSLRs are mostly about shallow DoF, controlling exposure at wide open apertures under most light circumstances can only be achieved with these filters, which are basically two rotating circular polarisation filters combined.

I did buy a mattbox and a set of glass filters, but truth be told, I have not really used them. It is just not practical to carry around with you, whereas a VariND or FaderND filter is easy to carry with you and fast to switch when running and gunning.

I have both a Singh-Ray VariND 77mm and LightCraft Fader ND 72mm and 82mm. Singh-Ray is indeed a lot more expensive, but in the end, I think they are well worth it. Since my favourite lenses are all 77mm threads, I continue to reach for the Singh-Ray, time and again.

The build-quality seems to be better and the filter seems to be somewhat smoother. Hold up the Fader NDs at a 30% angle and you'll see 'teardrops', which the Singh-Rays do not.

However, I wish the Singh Rays would be more readily available - afaik you can only order them on their website and get charged ridiculous import and tax levies.

Richard van den Boogaard
cameraman / editor / video marketing consultant

Branded Channels
W: http://www.brandedchannels.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy