Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Advice for Lenses and Gear for the 5D for commercial production purposes.

COW Forums : DSLR Video

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jared CiconRe: Advice for Lenses and Gear for the 5D for commercial production purposes.
by on Jul 25, 2010 at 5:45:39 pm

Phil, After sleeping on it I think I agree and see where you are going with the 5D/7D argument. I also remember just a few months back I had to rent a Sony EX-1 so I could shoot at 60FPS for slo-mo purposes. The 7D would have saved me $300.00. I am definitely leaning now towards the 7D, especially since it could serve as a quality back-up at a later date if/when I decide to purchase a 5D. In other words, all of the peripherals (lenses/gear) are compatible, so purchasing another 'D' body later makes good sense. I have just two more important questions I hope you can help me with.

1. AUDIO: What audio recorder would you suggest I purchase since I will now for sure be capturing audio separately, and how do I insure that I don't forget to start the sound recorder (on small crew jobs or jobs I shoot myself) every time I start recording video. Is there some sort of sync capability between the 7D and a recorder so both can start simultaneously? Also, if I end up with a few hundred clips of video to sort out. Is there a way to re-sync the sound that won't present a nightmare in post?

2. DOF: How much better is the DOF with the 5D compared to the 7D. And....compared to the mini-dv tape based system I use now (Sony HDRFX-1), will the 7D still blow away the DOF I have been able to get by using long focal lengths and a wide open aperture?

Thanks for your help Phil.
Jared

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]