Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

PAL Closed-Captioning with Encore/DVD Studio Pro

COW Forums : Closed Captioning

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jessica MuthPAL Closed-Captioning with Encore/DVD Studio Pro
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 7:51:31 pm

Hi Everyone,

* Note I am posting this in the Closed-Captioning forum and both Encore and DVD Studio Pro forums, so I mis-post, please let me know.

I am well-aware that Apple's DVD Studio Pro and Adobe's Encore does not support closed-captioning within their softwares if you are trying to author a DVD in PAL; it does work, however, if you author in NTSC. This is because Line-21 is supported in both programs in NTSC and not in PAL as PAL uses Teletext, which not supposed in either software.

I have three questions regarding that information that I'm hoping someone might be able to provide some insight.

1. I can build my DVD in DVD Studio Pro with a PAL stream and I double-checked to make sure that my DVD is set (in Preferences) (Note: my .scc file is set at 29.97 fps, just as an example) in PAL and take the VIDEO_TS files and play it back in the DVD Player on the computer and have the captions display; however, when I burn it to DVD, the captions do not display. Why would Apple tease me like this? Better yet, since my captions were provided at 29.97 fps, the captions were on-time when played back on the computer; the captions should be slightly offer since the DVD is 25 fps and the captions are 29.97, correct?

2. Let's say my .scc file is actually 25 fps to match my PAL stream. If I author it in DVD Studio Pro and then try to play back the DVD in a player, do you think this will work and not only display with the DVD Player software instead?

3. Are they any alternatives to try to get around this in Encore or DVD Studio Pro for a PAL project to accept captions (excluding subtitles)? If not, does anyone know if Scenarist will take closed-captioning if authored in PAL?

Sorry for the detailed post. I wanted to provide as much information as possible.

Please let me know if anything is unclear. I appreciate everyone's responses in the meantime!

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]