Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Captions for broadcast using Encore

COW Forums : Closed Captioning

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ryan HughesCaptions for broadcast using Encore
by on Mar 18, 2012 at 6:06:53 pm

Hello,

I am trying to add closed captions to my show using Adobe Encore 5.5. The client provided me with all the necessary caption files (.scc, .ndf.scc, etc) using the company Automatic Sync (aka CaptionSync). I added the .scc file to my video track the nice simple way under the Closed Caption Field 1 option in the Properties window. The problem is that the broadcaster sees absolutely no caption signal on the DVD. The only way I am able to view any captions is in Windows Media Player, which only displays a few random captions (most captions do not appear throughout the show). No captions appear at all in any other DVD player that I have tried. The captions that do appear in WMP, however, are perfectly in sync. They appear in a strange wide courier-like font on a transparent grey background, which look very different than true closed captions. This leads me to believe that these are not encoded properly as closed captions. I am editing this particular project on Adobe Premiere 5.5, but I also own Avid Media Composer 4, both on a PC, Windows 7. I am completely tapeless right now, so my options are pretty much limited to DVD. I am exporting the show out in Premiere using the mpeg-2 DVD preset. The original video is 1080p, but the mpeg-2 DVD file is 720x480. Could the DV format be part of the problem?

I need these captions to comply with broadcasts standards. Can anyone shed some light as to why no caption signal is appearing on my DVD?
Also, what is the difference between an .scc file and an .ndf.scc file? Does it have to do with Non-Drop Frame?

Thanks!
Ryan

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]