Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Basic Server Setup and Network Understanding

COW Forums : CatDV

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Scott GoddardBasic Server Setup and Network Understanding
by on May 3, 2012 at 12:55:08 am

I am planning to build a CatDV Enterprise Server setup but am trying to understand a little more about how to do this for my specific needs. Heres a little more background:

HUB (Country A):
This is where most of the physical Tape library is currently stored. Lets say 1000's of rushes on tape. All of this will will eventually be cataloged in CatDV.

CatDV server app will be installed on a Mac Mini.

2 CatDV workstations, 1 Macbook Pro, 1 Mac pro. (majority of ingest and logging is done here.)

INTERNATIONAL (Country B):
This location wants to view the proxies and data stored in CatDV in Country A, as well as be able to log footage and amend metadata fields etc.

2 CatDV workstations, lets say they are Windooze PC's.

Lets also imagine we have a few web client licences for remote access anywhere in the world.

-----

So all locations want to access the proxies and catalogs from around the world... My questions are this:

1) Is it best to have the proxies stored with a managed hosting provider?

2) Do small organisations setup their own hosting systems to manage this? I can imagine large orgs like NASCAR, Sony Music perhaps have their own hosting servers but for small companies this is perhaps too difficult.

3) What kind of bandwidth do I need to manage this? Are there any requirements or system preferences? If we are looking a 1000's of clips in low res H264, what is the performance like for remote search queries?

4) Maybe its possible to just connect to the static IP of where CatDV is running?

My knowledge is a little weak in the hosting/network area so any help is much appreciated. I have seen a document from 2003 from CatDV on server integration but it still a little unclear.

Scott

Néo Vérité Limited
http://www.neoverite.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]