Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: CatDV Re-archive footage with Cache-A

COW Forums : CatDV

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tom GoldbergRe: CatDV Re-archive footage with Cache-A
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 3:30:05 am

As the Cache-A guy on the Cow, I would like to jump in here and try to address a number of the issues being mentioned in this thread.

First, the CatDV plugin does not deal with spanned tapes aka Multiple Volumes. As you add tapes to a spanned set on a Cache-A, we automatically rename each subsequent tape with the volume name of the first tape in the set (i.e. "myfiles) followed by an underscore tape number (i.e. myfiles_2, myfiles_3). The CatDV plugin does not recognize this policy at this time.

The CatDV plugin does display the % space left on tape upon invoking an archive. This allows you to manage your archive transfers to fit on tapes. In general, spanned sets are to be avoided if possible - they're ok for archiving large data sets that need to remain intact, but not needed for CatDV managed files.

In order to restore files with CatDV's plugin, they must already have been restored to the VTAPE by the user first. CatDV is actively working on being able to restore directly from tapes, but they will have to comment on the availability of that feature for what version of their plugin.

Lindsay, the kind of media you are archiving is irrelevant, we are a data device and when it comes to archiving, bits are bits. Because you are getting file transfer errors, I'd suspect your network, your physical connections, your archive source hard drives, your PC configuration... something in your system. Because we have a lot of units deployed, and problems like yours are most likely to be due to such end-user system issues.

Nathan, have you contacted our tech support? We can help you through some of these issues. Are you trying to use LTFS (not tested with the CatDV plugin)? What version is your Cache-A (you should be at v2.1.15)? Is it under warranty (Lindsay's is not)?

Jeff, you seem to be on the right path. I hope some of these explanations help explain issues you've had.

I hope all of you can work through your issues and will be here to address this kind of topic... usually over on the Archiving and Backup forum, but happy to contribute here as well.

Tom Goldberg
Cache-A Corporation
602 Park Point Drive
Golden, CO 80401
mailto:tom.goldberg@cache-a.com
http://cache-a.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS