Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Folder Structure and File Naming

COW Forums : CatDV

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Scott GoddardFolder Structure and File Naming
by on Apr 23, 2012 at 6:04:50 pm

The more I read up on CatDV the more important I realise the folder structure and file naming is in terms of organising the 'backend' of CatDV. Currently I am using CatDV Professional (non server, non worker node, but certainly coming to that later this year).

I am organising footage from a wide range of sources and a wide range of time dating back many years. It is non project specific but stored in an archive style ready to be used when needed. Lets think of it as a stock footage library as that what it and I imagine a lot of small / medium production facilities could be using CatDV as and what closely represents my own uses.

I am trying to come up with a folder and file naming convention that will best organise the footage in a raw file based non CatDV reliant structure (mainly as I see it to be important as a backup to be able to manually locate incase there is a software issue, loss of computer etc etc) as well as to allow CatDV to 'mine' data from the folders and filenames. From what I have read in a few posts this is something CatDV is capable of doing and becomes very powerful when used eventually with the Worker Node. In fact from what I understand the worker node can in essence be programmed to do most of this organisation for me.

Essentially though we still need to have a structure in place to begin with. Here's what I am currently thinking in terms of folder structure:

RAID VOLUME / YEAR / MONTH / COUNTRY / LOCATION / FILE FOLDER / File (file name will include as much data to make it usefully identifiable)

So something like as an actual example:

RAID VOLUME / 2012 / April / France / Paris / 2012_04_23_france_paris_city_broll / 2012_04_23_france_paris_city_broll.mov

So I can see from this file the date shot and a simple description of what it was. Of course the CatDV metadata will hold much more information on it, such as cameraperson, producer, markers with shot details, weather etc etc

I am wondering what others use as a folder structure and naming convention? Of course it will be different for everyone but perhaps there is some general rule to doing this kind of structure. I would be interested to know how some of the bigger facilities organise their data especially when dealing with tapeless clip based media (hence the importance of the file folder name).

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated especially in reference to a long term structure that can adapt to the worker node and server solutions.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]