Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: CatDV Workflow

COW Forums : Decks & VTRs

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Robb HarrissRe: CatDV Workflow
by on Feb 22, 2012 at 1:44:01 am

I've been bringing in all our old footage and creating a library in two levels. First all the footage comes in based on the shooting location. This localizes the footage at least to an identifiable area: a business, school or hospital, something alone those lines. We do the same for accounting purposes as well. Shooting is "research." A project (which must be amortized in our little world) doesn't come into being until we actually sit down and design it (based on our 'research') and start to edit. So now I have list of places or areas where we've shot lots of different things. Footage comes in as ProRes422 and I'm storing it on raw external drives for later use. Maybe I get more than one location on a drive, and CatDV keeps track. I'm making proxies of everything at low rez. Sometimes that means M-Jpeg, but lately ProRes Proxy (with the file name and timecode burned in). CatDV proxies are stored on their own drive on the network.

Using Workgroup Server we can do scans and queries across all the footage. Primarily we're using the proxies and doing initial edits with the proxies. I can make copies and consolidate footage onto a machine if I want. Eventually I move closer to a finishing stage — dumping the footage from the timeline and making it "offline." I move the full rez footage from the raw drives onto a machine, and conform it. I have to do a lot of mixing and matching of footage no matter what I do. In the past, in the "traditional" non-linear methodology I was doing a lot of loading, and reloading from HDCam and DigiBeta tapes. I've reduced the time devoted to that part of the workflow a great deal by making my own files as part of my logging/archiving/library process. There are still kinks here and there, but it's working for us. The best part is having huge amounts of source footage available all the time in the form of the proxies. I love being able to hunt up an extra shot in just a couple of minutes and then simply drag and drop it into my timeline. Plus some of our people are capable of creating "sequences" in CatDV and they arrive directly on my desktop where I can open them fully populated. A lot better than trying to read poorly scrawled lists of shots and numbers and spending a couple of days loading them just to start.
Good luck,
Robb

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]