Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Re-rendering proxies

COW Forums : CatDV

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

bryson jonesRe: Re-rendering proxies
by on May 3, 2011 at 7:59:40 am

Sorry man, got a little busy out there but you have to know that doing this over a message board is like doing surgery through a key hole, not the best or easiest.

When you are setting path-based preview paths you can usually ignore the "original" setting unless you want to set up a special path map. You can choose use it as a wizard where you choose the hi-res, original path and then point to the place you want to place the previews but it's often not needed. (again specific to your system)

Your storage naming was definitely a problem. Things might straighten out now, but in FCP, you have to get away from the tape based previews. I don't think that having them both live is a good thing.

Honestly, I've never installed a single system in 4 years that used tape-based previews. I'd like to hear from anyone who's used them to confirm that or refute it, but I can say that I have dozens of systems out there working with path-based only so that has to count for something. Mr. Duggan told me to stay away from them and I did.

Remember that certain features in CatDV exist because certain companies requested/paid for them, or once did. They do not apply to all installations and unless you have engineered your system to use that feature it may cause problems. Features often outlive their useful lifespan but cannot be EOL'd because they are in use on a specific client site. (Has anyone out there really exported a CMX3600 EDL from CatDV lately?)

Rename the drives, make sure that your paths, when you drag clips in, show up as /Volumes/drive_name no matter if it's local or over the network and you should be fine. It's that simple.

In a small rig like yours, with one proxy location and just macs, there should be one preview path. That's all. /Volumes/path/to/where/you/want/previews/to/go

Troubleshooting path based previews is insanely easy. If you look at the media path value and then look inside the preview directory and the paths don't match, it won't work. If they match, it will.

If not, then you have to get your dealer or a tech involved. "Do It Yourself" is great for bird houses and gardening but a waste of time in professional post production. You can lose a lot of hair, or get a lot of gray. ;)

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]