Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Poll: How much would you pay for Resolve panels?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Robert HoullahanRe: Poll: How much would you pay for Resolve panels?
by on Sep 14, 2011 at 7:46:20 pm

The Blackboard 2 is future proof like a McClaren F1 street car is future proof because it runs on gas. In my opinion Baselight is just enough more sophisticated than most other grading systems to justify it's cost in a facility environment that works on jobs that can support it and clients that will pay for it. The machine is great and has an air of "bespoke" exotic and expensive, plus the toolset is sophisticated and it's fast and comes with great 24/7 service.

That said there are big facilities that do very high end work on Resolve and have not switched because the toolset is there and it works. The BMD panels have soft knobs and displays which can evolve as the software is further developed. I think the development of Resolve was a bit stagnant until BMD bought the company but the developments from V7 to now have been leaps and bounds. Furthermore I don't see where the current BMD Resolve panels cannot fully support further development of the Resolve app for the foreseeable future, maybe ten years.

As for third party panels I can see why the CP 200 series would not be high priority for BMD to support, they are very nice but expensive and still generic. I feel that it is a legitimate business choice to present the BMD panels as the alternative to a customer who is in the market for panels in the $20K price range.

Lastly BMD has been really good at supporting all of the available panels in the low cost range. Mapping a UI onto a new panel/interface has to take software engineer resources and time. I am pretty sure that BMD will support the Element panels like they support the JL-Copper which is in the same Class/Price range.

A fully maxed out Resolve with a ton of GPU and Panels with an assist station with a Wave or JL and a ton of fast storage is like a souped bitchin' Camaro with a blower. A big chunk of Muscle Car like iron that in many ways might take the McClaren and that can be implemented around a different economic model.

Go BMD it's a pretty awesome ride.

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

MAHC-PRO 6-Core 3X GTX285 20Tb SAS Wave Panel Panny 11UK SDI Plasma.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]