Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Adding Subtitle

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jonathon LeeRe: Adding Subtitle
by on Aug 18, 2011 at 10:20:33 pm

Yep, depends on your workflow and how often you do subtitled masters. If you have a smoke great, if you have a DS great.

Hut if you don't have those systems, the Annotation Edit + Resolve workflow is fast and cheap. Annotation edit renders out a variable frame rate QT file, so the render is super fast even for a feature. You have to render out a Pro Rez 4444 from QT pro, but that only takes a few min if you have fast storage+comp. Doing the same render in FCP (which is unusable for doing full-range 10-bit 444, but OK for 10-bit scaled 422) or rending in Adobe After Effects takes hours per reel... so for a feature this is time prohibitive for most.

Actually, I have both smoke and DS and I prefer using the Annotation Edit + Resolve method. It renders way faster then DS, have not tested in Smoke yet. I have yet to find anything that will render faster then Resolve 8 and I use many different platforms. Not sure why, but I'll take the win.

Anyhow, many different ways to skin the cat, but at 1k per resolve license it is a HUGE time and money saver. We have 2 mac resolves and 1 linux.. one of the Mac Resolve systems is just for rendering and i/o.

One last thing... authoring subs in Annotation Edit is much, much faster then trying to do it in Smoke, DS, FCP or any other NLE or composting system. AND, if you need to re-purpose subtitles for DVD, Bluray, Digital Cinema, mpeg delivery and CC's, you will need a subtitle authoring system such as An Ed. or the like.... an NLE just can't do the various file format translations.

- Jonathon

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]