Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: A couple easy questions...

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Robbie CarmanRe: A couple easy questions...
by on Jul 19, 2011 at 7:25:18 pm

Yuri

I would suggest you pickup my good friend Alexis Van Hurkman's book The Color Correction Handbook which you can find on Amazon. Alexis does a great job of going in to detail on these subjects and a whole lot more but in as you say "laymans" terms. Its a great read and will get you up to speed quickly.

Gamma is a deep subject that has many implications but put simply gamma is a non linear equal power adjustment. Often you'll see gamma as it relates to a monitors non linear luminance response (2.2, 2.5 etc) in color grading to a non linear adjustment to mid tone contrast.

You should also check out the articles by Charles Poynton on the subject http://www.poynton.com/notes/colour_and_gamma/GammaFAQ.html

DPX (digital picture exchange) is an uncompressed file format its often used when scanning film but its also used in high end digital recorder and as file exchange for VFX and of course in grading. While you can have a single DPX file they're often grouped as image sequences. So for 1min of 24fps content you'd have 1440 individual frames or separate files. Its main advantages are in its high quality uncompressed nature but also how it can handle things like log image data.

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Twitter
Blog

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook