Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: When source media crosses midnight

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris KennyRe: When source media crosses midnight
by on May 4, 2011 at 12:13:40 am

[Robert Houllahan] "I think EDL export from Final Cut is much less robust than from Avid..."

This isn't a problem with the EDL, though, as far as I can tell. The EDL in these instances is accurate. This is, as far as I can tell, a Resolve bug. The algorithm it uses for checking whether a given timecode range is contained within another timecode range doesn't seem to understand clips that cross the midnight barrier. So if it's looking for media from reel A001 starting at 00:00:01:00 and going through 00:00:10:00, it doesn't understand that it if there's a reel A001 clip that runs from 23:59:58:00 to 00:01:10:00 it should look for it there.

It's easy to see why. In all other cases, if you're looking for a clip that encompasses a given timecode range, that clip's start timecode will be less than the start timecode of the range, and its end timecode will be greater. In this case, the former isn't true, and the code wasn't written with that edge case in mind.

(Vaguely-related rant: I don't understand why the industry hasn't added day, month, year, and camera identifiers to TC/reel information by now, to give every frame ever captured by every camera a globally unique code. That would solve a lot of annoying post problems.)

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read Does FCP X make project files obsolete? on our blog.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]