Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: feature request: Hue and Sat curves

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Blase TheodoreRe: feature request: Hue and Sat curves
by on Nov 21, 2010 at 10:28:49 pm

Example scenario
Lets say you have an image that was balanced for daylight and then exposed to tungsten. Super yellow. If you shot it on say 5D, there's not gonna be much info to play with...

In resolve:
You'd "balance the image" by pulling out yellow and adding blue till it looked neutral. At this point you've thrown away half of your image data (lets assume 411 colorspace for simplicity- The blue channel contains 1/4th of the pixel data of that green channel, and the image itself has very little blue in it. You're throwing away the yellow green which is the strongest channel, and stretching out the blue which is the weakest) So your image starts to look like crap.
Or..
You use the qualifier to select yellow hue only, and you desat and hue shift it before grading a second layer. The result is dirty. Don't know why but I've compared it.

In Color:
You'd open a secondary curve, notch the yellow and green sat down, blue magenta sat up. Then you'd nudge the oranges towards red, and the blues away from magenta. You're not throwing away pixel data, you're just reshaping it.

When an image is exposed too warm or too cold, the colors exhibit a non-linear hue shift. The reds might be in the right spot, and everything else may need to shift exponentially.

Also curves are super fast. I can make trees the right color green, or fix skintones, or fix a sky in a matter of seconds. Waaay faster than pulling a qualifier that doesn't suck, and definitely cleaner to paste across many shots.

Lastly as a styling tool, they're much faster to get a certain look.
If I wanted to get the "steely action" look, I'd desat the yellows and reds, and nudge the greens hue up towards blue, and the magenta hue down towards blue. reproducing such a style with qualifiers would be time consuming and possibly difficult across multiple shots.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
+1
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]