Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: C300 = Fail

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joseph OwensRe: C300 = Fail
by on Dec 21, 2012 at 1:41:37 am

[Juan Salvo] "8 bit also means c-log is a really bad idea"

Cannot stress this enough.

One word: HORRIBLE.

Way worse than underexposed 5298 when Eastman first brought it out. C-Log is not log, it is compressed linear. Was just asked the question last night about any anti-log curves that might be available, but no, there is none. Cinematographers shoot "off the chart" anyway, so there is no "put the contrast back in" filter. Dropping the lift is a one-way ticket to Noise City...

The 8-bit reveals itself very, very quickly if you need to stretch the pedestal at all. The vectorscope display shows a broken, stepping gamut grating that would not make an effective horse-fly swatter.

Of course the Long-GOP means the CPUs are working very, very hard to sustain frame rates, tracking is questionable, often the preview turns into a noise garble... and secondary qualifications? Might look okay parked on the frame, but hit "Play" and your qualifiers start flapping like flightless waterfowl. Edges are choppy, the noise makes it almost impossible to be exact with HSL qualifiers.

Actually, when I do hit "Play", my UPS power supplies start screaming in overload -- I checked the display once... the MacPro was drawing 850 watts.

Oh, and when you get the media back on the timeline you will find that most of it is a frame delayed within the edits. Sometimes more. But for some reason, even when handles are set to none, you get another 2-3 frames on the head and tail of every clip.

Borders on fraud, IMHO.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
+1
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]