Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

3D Realtime Playback

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Kevin Cannon3D Realtime Playback
by on Jul 7, 2012 at 6:14:13 am

Hi,

I haven't used resolve for 3D on a mac except to test it... I'm now using it to review 3D Red footage and don't get very satisfying playback (zero grades). Here's the part that perplexes me:

In stereo project 1, I set to 1920x1080 24fps, monitoring 1920x1080 23.98 10-bit. I'm looking at two 1080p photo JPEG quicktimes. I'm getting 48fps (I guess it counts both eyes) playback, from which I gather that the graphics cards, processing, and output card can handle the part of the flow where Resolve works with two 1080p RGB images and sends to 3D output (in dual SDI mode).

In stereo project 2, same 1920x1080 24fps and 1080p monitoring, but two streams of Epic 5K. I start to get 15fps playback (it reads 30fps). Assuming that the issue is debayer speed, I change the debayer speed, but I get the same 15fps if it's full-res premium or eight-res good. I can even change the project to 720p and get 15fps. Changing the monitoring settings still gives me 30fps. Turning off "Display Both Eyes for 3D" goes back to 2D, where I get proper 24fps playback on either eye...

Here's the set-up:
12-Core Mac Pro
24 gigs Ram
GTX120 for GUI
Decklink Extreme 3D+
Cubix Desktop 4 with 2x red rocket and 2x GTX 285
Playing off two internal drives (left from one, right from another)

I would think if the bottleneck was about GPUs or output, that project #1 wouldn't work. If it was about R3D debayering, that going to eighth-res would help...if it was about drive read/write speed that the eyes wouldn't get 24fps in 2D mode.

But I'm stumped. Theories?

Could it be that the drive read speed needs to be higher for one eye of 3D playback than 2D playback? Is there a quick way to tell if Resolve is utilizing both red rockets?

KC

Prehistoric Digital

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]