Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: roundtip from Windows Resolve back to FCP7 - codec to use

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joseph OwensRe: roundtip from Windows Resolve back to FCP7 - codec to use
by on May 31, 2012 at 7:47:30 pm

[Ben Scott] "As I have also got a red render bar I am thinking the codec outputting from the PC resolve isnt optimised for FCP e.g. its reading as Apple none (for the YUV outputs) or none (for RGB outputs)"

Your biggest single clue.

When Apple sees "Uncompressed" as "None", then its a Quicktime/file problem; cross-platform from PC/Windows/NTFS to Apple/OSX/MacOS. There are issues with byte-ordering that will cause Quicktime under Mac to fail to see what the codec is when it is transported through NTFS. (I'm assuming you're exporting the graded footage either through a server or an NTFS external hard drive.)

Its possible that a re-render, even cross-rendered back into Apple Uncompressed will cure the problem -- however, there may also be scaling problems inherent in this export path (of the nature 0-1023 / 64-940). Its bad news all around.

Your slight shift in chroma/not luma may be due to the Y'CbCr --> RGB ---> Y'CbCr not being mathematically rigorous, and it cannot be, oweing to round-off errors. But you ARE going to change the values of most of the footage.... right? Otherwise, if you want EXACTLY back what you sent, then ... why are you grading? ;-D

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]