Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Normal / Full Range

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Kevin CannonRe: Normal / Full Range
by on May 15, 2012 at 3:23:51 pm

Hi Stig,

Here's my understanding: resolve always works in full-range internally. In order to accommodate workflows that use monitoring, scopes, and tape decks that expect broadcast-legal levels, they put the button in the config > monitoring section (also one in config > deck playback) that allows you to scale just the monitoring/deck output from Resolve's internal full-range and output broadcast levels via the Decklink card. So what I'm doing is nothing special - I'm just turning the monitoring switch to "normally scaled."

This won't affect renders - renders will be scaled if you add an output LUT that scales them, or change the data level in the render window. Often Resolve scales the levels based on the codec you are going to. There are other threads on those specifics.

When I say that your display would be set up to accept legal or full range, I mean in the actual settings and calibration of the display, which could read something like "range:64-940" "0-1023" "16-235" etc. I'm not familiar with the menus of the OLED or BT300 - and it's possible that setting the OLED to "Rec. 709" already sets this range and there is no separate option.

You should see the same image on-screen with the monitor set to 64-940 and resolve set to legally scaled as you would with the monitor set to 0-1023 and resolve set to unscaled.

KC

Prehistoric Digital

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]