Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: 4K Grading & Monitoring

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Kevin CannonRe: 4K Grading & Monitoring
by on May 12, 2012 at 7:34:39 pm

Agreed, but:

- The Decklink 4K still needs to actually ship... Since it's been pushed back quarter after quarter I wonder if there is some kind of problem?

- For 4K projection, the options are more like Barco, Christie (NEC?). There wasn't a single working 4K prototype of the Red Laser projector as of NAB and I think it's more likely to fall into the home cinema market than to be useful for color grading... I didn't see any claims about being DCI compliant and Red hasn't been forthcoming on the underlying technology and how consistent it might be.

I'm not sure about the math here, perhaps one of our GPU experts can chime in, but it seems like 4K RGB images going out and back in from 3 GPUs will approach some limitation on the PCI bandwidth on some stations (like the current Mac Pro)... I imagine that as new systems become PCI 3.0 that we'll see an improvement here. The Blackmagic system config guide for windows has one system that is certified for 4K, and I think the main difference is that each GPU (they recommend the 580) can have a dedicated 16x slot...

But I think the Decklink 4K is the only necessary component that you can't currently buy.

KC

Prehistoric Digital

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]