Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: 64-940 for 10 bit SD unccompressed?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joseph OwensRe: 64-940 for 10 bit SD unccompressed?
by on Apr 29, 2012 at 4:17:31 pm

Type C. Hmmm.... analog composite. Just out of curiosity, Sony or Ampex... or... Hitachi?

That you have a 10-bit uncompressed file is probably wasted space, considering the original.

It would just be my approach, but... first impulse would have been to digitize ProRes4:2:2 uprez to 1080 on intake. Also, was the original anamorphic and/or is there a 4:3/16:9 aspect letter/pillarbox issue as well?
Your 709/601 and frame dominance issues would go away, but now you are going to have to deal with them. Usually software scaling is not that fabulous. By any chance is there 2:3 cadence involved? (Is the original project film-based (24fps) or original 29.97?)

1080P29.97 is going to require you to do a very high quality de-interlace if you don't want a lot of motion artifacts. And if there was 2:3, then about half your events are going to occur on field 2. Which, I'm not sure you can do in Resolve.... ??? We used to have a ":" button in Renaissance to deal with that.

But getting to scalars, which is almost a non-issue compared to everything else, 64-940 / 0-1023 is probably irrelevant, since the project was never RGB and is now broadcast scale whether you like it or not... and was the 'setup 7.5 IRE' taken out? You should be grading in its native scale. I really don't understand the compulsion to try to push things into xeno-space and then flail around re-calibrating and compensating for the dislocation. << I would like to do this project in French for English delivery, even though it originated in Spanish, so now I need to translate it three ways....>>> because.....????

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]