Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: GPU Ram for 4K projects, how much is enough?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Clay GlendenningRe: GPU Ram for 4K projects, how much is enough?
by on Apr 27, 2012 at 9:20:28 pm

I'm the guy that picked up a 570 the other day from David. Until our cubix comes in along with a few other things, this is running very nicely in a 2008 3,1 Mac Pro. I'll be replacing the tower itself soon, but until then it has a few additions you would expect: decent amount of RAM, an SSD, RAID array, etc. I was on my way to pick up a 570 from the store before a Reduser post led me here, then to David, who was extremely helpful given my busy schedule.

The EFI, monitor capability, and general ease of installation make a ton of sense for anyone quickly upgrading a few machines in a post house. I had zero problems. Before I continue, I just want to say that this card works incredibly well with CS5.5 (and photoshop cs6 beta). I have a boatload of 4k and 5k footage. Quite a bit of that footage is high-frame rate including a fair amount with HDR. I'll try not to veer off topic here, but fashion video and still work with loads of effects and grading has been handled quite well.

We all know that there are better/faster options available, and I will be one of those making some modest additions to speed up my .r3d workflow. However, for a lot of people the 570 is certainly the "sweet spot" David is suggesting. Yes, I could use some super horsepower for tackling 5k HDR, but the system as it stands now "works" in tremendous part due to the card. The addition of the card makes a ton of sense as an affordable addition worth considering before other additions, then iterating upon as you need to.

I'll be doing some heavy lifting tomorrow in Resolve, and will update with system specs, numbers, etc.

Blows my mind how affordable running a resolve system has become in such a short period of time. Cool time to be making moving images.

Cheers guys.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]