Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

2k DPX RGB export from Da Vinci to EasyDCP

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Aurelien Guegan2k DPX RGB export from Da Vinci to EasyDCP
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 7:06:41 pm

Hi to all,

We have just finished grading a one hour program made of 6 short films. Our suite is Da Vinci Resolve on Mac displayed on a DCI projector NEC NC1200. The projector has different color profiles (HDTV and DCIP3), but we graded in XYZ color space full range images (from Alexa log Prores 444) with a 3d display lut RGB to XYZ. In order to make the DCP, our lab asked us an image sequence from the Resolve in DPX RGB 2048*858 24fps.
So we exported the project without the lut and sent it to the lab. They use EasyDCP.

We are just back from the first DCP screening and everything looked like the gamma was off, midtones very bright, washed out look. Very different from what we graded.

The lab says that Easy DCP doesn't interpret the dpx files. Wich is very odd to me... Or our projector has a wrong gamma setting in its DCI profile... Wich is also odd to me since it has been calibrated twice in two months.

Anyone has bad experience working with easyDCP ?

I had a quick look at the Easy DCP user manual and here is what it says about input data characteristics:

"Easy DCP uses full input range, means e.g. for 10bit 0..1023 codevalues (black is 0, white is 1023).

RGB means a gamma of 2,2 is applied to the linear RGB values.

The color gamut of the RGB values should be sRGB/ITU 709 with D65 whitepoint."

My guess is that Easy DCP interpreted our data as REC 709 footage with a 2.2 gamma and converted it to XYZ 2,6. Which would explain the washed out look of the DCP.

Where do we go from here? Do we need to apply a render lut to solve this?

If you have some advice, I'm ready to listen...

Thanks

Aurélien

Lylo Post-Production
Paris
France

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter