Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Film grain

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Carl Ryan StempleRe: Film grain
by on Mar 27, 2012 at 5:25:42 am

Absolutely in agreement with Gustavo on this one. It's pretty easy to say "just shoot with film," but when you've got a client (or better yet, yourself) caught in a situation where they WANT a filmic, analogue texture, but can only afford to shoot in HD...well, you do what you can do.

From that stand point, this seems like a really killer solution, and I certainly plan on getting my hands on that 4K scan. The singular issue that I have with every film grain simulation is that, from my perspective at least, there's a very tactile difference between anything we can conjure up and the real-deal.

There's a very subtle...fluidity to the grain in chemically processed celluloid that seems to flow naturally with the motions on screen. Most of the time, an overlay will give the illusion of this effect - but I've never seen a digital grain simulation that's able to 100% accurately match it.

--
Carl Ryan Stemple
Color | Edit | VFX
digitalbarbershop.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:
  • Film grain by Gustavo Bermudas on Mar 26, 2012 at 10:49:34 pm

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter