Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Anyone started using Windows Resolve fulltime?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Aaron HaydenRe: Anyone started using Windows Resolve fulltime?
by on Mar 7, 2012 at 9:48:45 pm

For the past 3 weeks I've been coloring 43 minutes of material a day on a windows box. I started with the recommend Supermicro system and build it beyond their specs.

- 2 x5690 @ 3.47 xeon processors
- 24 gigs of ram
- 1 quadro 4000 for gui
- 3 EVGA Classifeid GTX 580 cards for GPU
- 5 drive internal raid (windows raid 0) for local storage
- SSD drive for system disk
- Decklink SDI for video out, my projects are all finished in HD and i had the card laying around.
- 4g atto Fiber card for connection to Unity 5 server
- Davinci Resolve BMD color panel

It runs Da Vinci like a BEAST! I can have 6 serial nodes with blur, power windows and noise reduction on all of them and still get 30 fps. All my media is dnxhd 220x with some phantom cine files, so I imagine performance would be even greater using DPX files, less decoding work for the CPUs.

Only downside is computer also doubles as a space heater and sounds like a leaf blower. Any room I put it in raises the temperature by ten degrees. The GPU cards are packed in the case very tight and I have to manual increase the fan speed on the cards to keep them from overheating. Plan on getting their recommend DVI and USB extension cables.

It took a couple weeks of testing to get the Avid roundtrip workflow down. The round trip works perfectly as long as your sequence prep is perfect. All in all I love the system and so glad to never be forced to color in Symphony Nitris ever again.

Aaron Hayden
Colorist
Gurney Productions
ahayden@gurneyproductions.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy