Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: With 8.1.1 BM has just thrown a very destructive blow to the entire C-grading business

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Kevin CannonRe: With 8.1.1 BM has just thrown a very destructive blow to the entire C-grading business
by on Nov 23, 2011 at 4:24:04 am

I'm sure I don't know where the whole business will be heading, but I know today I am working in a client's suite because it was worth it for them to buy a DaVinci license and all the necessary hardware, rather than have to leave their building and drive 10 minutes to my suite. In the future, I have no doubt this client will opt to bring me or another colorist in rather than to take their material out to a large facility, as they have before this week. But it was 7.0 and not 8.0 or 8.1.1 that made that possible...

In big markets there is plenty of competition between differently sized operations. I have a small one, and certainly the products Blackmagic has developed and priced in this way have helped small boutiques to make fewer compromises with quality and compete with large facilities. That's not hurting the "c-grading business," just altering the balance. It drives down prices but also expenses, it's the companies that are stuck with a lot of legacy costs that I see in trouble. Now has it made it possible for clients to do the same work as a freelancer or boutique? I know lots of cinematographers that are downloading it and will certainly do their own dailies, if not their own looks...

Meanwhile Resolve keeps getting better and better as software - I often have to inform repeat clients of new features since the last time they were in, which keeps them impressed (hey, remember when I couldn't do that composite? Remember when I couldn't do that NR?). I rarely find limitations in DaVinci that would prompt me to switch.

As far as prices going down...It's like trying to catch a falling knife...

KC

Prehistoric Digital
PhD Grading Suite

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]