Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: With 8.1.1 BM has just thrown a very destructive blow to the entire C-grading business

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Peter BergRe: With 8.1.1 BM has just thrown a very destructive blow to the entire C-grading business
by on Nov 21, 2011 at 9:01:27 pm

I have to disagree with Charles here. While I do agree it's a great idea to get the DaVinci name out there and get more people buzzing about the software, I don't see anybody really buying the paid version anymore now that the free version can pretty much do everything (how many people do 3D or 4K finishing? not many). While 1 GPU might slow things down a bit, you can drop in the RED Rocket if you are doing RED work. The system actually renders very fast even with one 1 GPU in my opinion.

I think it's great to get the student market involved in DaVinci early. Builds up the user base for sure! But why would you not have the free version or the trial version get them into the product line and then they would want to upgrade once they get further along in their career? At this point, the free version would work for like 99% of the TV and feature work that I do. So other than selling Decklink cards, how can the DaVinci line continue to get money for R&D and more importantly support? And I mean even Microsoft Word, imovie and Adobe Photoshop Elements are more expensive than DaVinci! Is Blackmagic going after the consumer marking now like Apple is?

It's just the idea of the full featured DaVinci for free that confuses me. The previous lite version made some business sense, but now everyone will download the free version like you said, and will not need to pay for the paid version. I full expect Blackmagic to drop the paid version at NAB and put all the features into the free version.

If you give everything away for free, it just does not hold as much market value (even though it does have more market recognition).

-Peter

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]