Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: AppleInsider says NEW FCP at next week's NAB Supermeet.

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Scott SheriffRe: AppleInsider says NEW FCP at next week's NAB Supermeet.
by on Apr 6, 2011 at 11:45:26 pm

Bill,
"I totally understand your perspective. I will note however that the last time I faced this kind of technology rev - in the "what camera should I shoot on" quandry, I took a flyer and became an early adopter of the Canon 5dMkii. As a 3 decades experienced video guy, I understood the risks and the limitations.

That was nearly two YEARS ago. The first year, I had the luxury of building expertise without the stress of it being my MUST USE tool. Then, suddenly, everywhere I looked people were demanding the camera that I had significant experience using. That fact alone allowed me to move into higher and higher end work - getting calls from larger ad agencies and bigger corporations rather than smaller clients.

It's always a toss up as to when you adopt something new.

Bet wrong and you waste time learning something that will be obsolete or irrelevant all too soon.

But bet correctly, and when everyone starts demanding the new toys you already know how to incorporate what they do with your existing experience.
"

Maybe it's just me, but I think the difference here is your post platform rarely comes up as a topic of conversation with a client when they are looking to book. About the only time it seems relevant is if you're applying for a job.
All they usually want to know is rate, amount of time it will take, and can you accept/deliver in 'x' format. Sometimes if there is a particular FX, or font they are interested in, they may ask about that.
Unlike a camera, I wouldn't know why it would even make a difference what the post platform is since most NLE's are essentially multi-format. Maybe if the project was logged, or started with someone else and they wanted to make sure that previous work was usable. Or they have something unusual (large frame sizes, etc) that they already know can't be done in certain NLE's. And those jobs are a bit more rare.
I have had people ask me what I use, but only as a topic of idle conversation.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]