Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Ki Pro and EX3

COW Forums : AJA Ki Pro

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim KolbRe: Ki Pro and EX3
by on Apr 7, 2010 at 3:24:19 am

Well...again, we're changing comparisons.

The EX3 native is 4:2:0, 35 Mbit, 8 bit Long GOP.

The 100 Mbit Long GOP typically referred to is a 4:2:2 format that has 3 times the data rate and better color subsampling...it's not what the EX3 records native, so it simply clouds the discussion that you started in the subject line.

100 Mbit/s, 4:2:2, Long GOP is far better than 35 Mbit/s, 4:2:0 Long GOP...

I've done some testing with the KiPro and also some other external data recorders...I want to do more testing before I'd have any opinions anywhere as strong as the opinions expressed in that thread...(I've only used ProRes HQ...no other bitrates).

Clearly though, 10 bit is just a lot more color precision...there is more information in 220 Mbps, 10 bit 4:2:2 material than 35 Mbps 8 bit 4:2:0. However, Long GOP is more efficient than I-frame...so data rate isn't the whole story...but it's a huuuge gap we're talking about here, and Long GOP doesn't close to filling the gap when you consider all the technical factors between EXcam and ProRes HQ.

What is noise and what is extra detail...and what is compression artifact is difficult enough to determine when you're looking at it yourself. It's impossible when somebody is trying to describe it in written form when the content of the image, the camera settings, and the display being used to view the material and its calibration are all in question, not to mention we all have different pools of experience that we reference...

Honestly, I always recommend each user conduct their own test in circumstances like this as very few of us can claim complete objectivity.

However, the question in your subject line is really "Is 10 bit ProRes higher in image quality than 8 bit XDcamEX?" and the short answer is that yes, it is...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]