Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: David vs. Goliath: THE HURT LOCKER wins big

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mike CohenRe: David vs. Goliath: THE HURT LOCKER wins big
by on Mar 8, 2010 at 2:24:16 pm

David, I agree with you. I thought Hurt locker was the first movie about the Iraq War that was not trying too hard to be a political anti-war statement. What I got from the film was that these guys on the bomb squad are so committed to their jobs that they don't know how to feel anything else, yet they are fragile people. When you deal in absolute life and death situations it is difficult to be subtle in other areas of your life.

Avatar was cool visually and as a kid who grew up on Star Wars it was the next best thing. In fact Avatar out Star Warsed Star Wars on many levels. Avatar did everything right that Phantom Menace and Return of the Jedi got wrong. But was it a best picture? I don't think so.

A best picture has to have all of the elements of great filmmaking, and Avatar was basically a Summer blockbuster movie with explosions and gee-whiz effects compared to the other nominees. Avatar had as much chance of winning best picture as District 9 or Star Trek if nominated. Well made films but not the best films of the year.

I have to add that I thought Inglorious Basterds was Ingloriously boring. But that's another thread.

Mike Cohen

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]