Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Early Reaction to The Hobbit in 48 fps

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mike MolendaRe: Early Reaction to The Hobbit in 48 fps
by on May 2, 2012 at 1:57:19 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "People don't want movies that look like cheap soap-operas. 48p is going to die along with the passing fancy of 3D. And no, Tim, I don't want your B&W TV w/ VHS deck. I do like HD. That is here to stay."

The "passing fancy" of 3D has been around for 5+ years now (way more if we're not talking strictly digital). Has there been a month in the last two years or so where you couldn't go to the local multiplex and see at least one movie in 3D, if you were so inclined?

I think The Hobbit is going to do for high-framerate cinematography what Avatar did for 3D. People don't want to pay for cheap soap operas, but they do want to pay for the best and newest if that's how it's sold to them. Look at the branding on the motion-compensating TVs out there: TruMotion, ClearScan, etc.

This is a world where people won't buy the widescreen DVD because it's "missing half the picture." People don't want to have to do their homework just to see a damned movie. Will every movie suddenly make the switch to 48fps digital? No. Will one of the screens at your local theater be showing a movie in SmoothD (or whatever they decide to brand it) every week? I'd say it's a safe bet.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]