Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Early Reaction to The Hobbit in 48 fps

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim WilsonRe: Early Reaction to The Hobbit in 48 fps
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 4:08:57 pm

[Mike Cohen] "However given the cost to theaters, I believe most people will see the Hobbit in 24fps film theaters."

The point is that for the overwhelming majority of theaters, there's no cost. It's like how much extra you paid for the feature in your tv. None. It's just included. Digital cinema projectors have had this for years. And the theaters that aren't digital yet are being converted with major funding through the National Association of Theater Owners and the studios. Cost is a non-issue.

Aesthetically, the same whining comes along with everything. You kids might be too young to remember the HOWLING that accompanied digital projection. It didn't look like movies! Which basically came down to lack of strobing and gate weave.

I did home theater installation for a couple of years, and people freaked out at line-doubled SD in the early 90s. I heard this all the time. "It's too smooth! I can't watch sports anymore!" I actually had people say to me that they needed the LINES. With a little prodding, I realized that they meant interlacing.

HD -- I can see their makeup!!! The sets look shabby!

We can go all the way back to Douglas Fairbanks, who faced real obstacles for his movie about pirates because he wanted to make it in color. A pirate movie in COLOR? Are you INSANE?

Whatever. Maybe it's because I like resolution, but I think of guys like this as visual Luddites, and I feel sad for them. Give this guy my email. I have a 24" black and white set and a VHS deck I can hook him up with cheap.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy