Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Migrating primary representations from one device to another

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Server

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jonathan BiermanRe: Migrating primary representations from one device to another
by on Mar 8, 2012 at 2:07:51 am

I didn't explain the scenario very well... mainly because it is stupid and complicated. I'll try to be brief.

I started by creating the EIP device on the XSAN2 because it had more free space than the XSAN1. I thought we'd have enough space to do what we needed to do. Due to poor Log and Transfer techniques by the students, (a lot of L&T was done in the field, I told them to do so instead of just copying the CF card data, big mistake on my part) the media came back waaaay bigger than it should have been (5D footage encoded ProRes4444 because they didn't check L&T preferences, for example)

I am currently transcoding all the 5D footage using a watcher back to ProRes422, so this will free up some space, but it'll take a while for the transcoding to finish.

As it stands, the EIP device (on XSAN2) contains about 1.6TB of transcoded footage, which is catalogued by FCS, and the students are currently logging/tagging/describing the assets... but there is a bunch more footage which has NOT been L&T'd. I anticipate at least another TB worth will be added to the EIP device (but at least now the codecs will be lighter, because I will be doing the L&Ting) There is 1.7TB remaining on the XSAN2... therefore I anticipate we'd be getting dangerously low on space, which could cause the whole thing to just fall over. So, we need to migrate. Phew.

We have an older XSAN, XSAN1. Its capacity is smaller, 3.6TB, and is currently full of another, much older project. The folder hierarchy is total junk. It's a disgraceful mess, and basically the director of the school has given the order to back up essential files, and wipe it clean so we can use it for this new, properly managed project... therefore, once cleared, I will be creating a folder on XSAN1, and copying the primary reps from XSAN2 into this folder, and then deleting the primary reps from XSAN2...can I then just go into FCSrv administration and just change the path of the EIP device to this new folder on XSAN1, and everything will remain the same?

Sorry for length.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]