Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PHOTOSHOP:HomePhotoshop TutorialsForumIllustrator TutorialsPS BasicsPhotoshop PodcastPhotography Forum

Image size for print/web

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jonnie LewisImage size for print/web
by on Jun 28, 2012 at 8:40:10 am

Hello,

I took a photograph recently, and I'll be wanting to send it out in press releases. It might be used on the web, or it might be used for print - so I was going to send out a web-friendly and print-friendly copy.

I've got myself a little confused in the process.

With regards to printing - my original image was 240DPI. In Photoshop's Image Size dialogue box I changed the DPI to 300, which makes the document size 9.28 inches wide by 15.52 inches tall. Will it be okay to save this out and send on to people with these dimensions?

I read that for print I should keep the Resample Image box unchecked. However if I do want to make the overall dimensions smaller, the DPI goes up as a result - does this matter? I was under the impression that print should be 300DPI, but if I set it to 300DPI with the Resample Image box unchecked, I have no further control over the dimensions of the image.

Alternatively I could check the Resample Image box and adjust the image size to whatever I want, but will this have an adverse effect on quality when reducing the size, or is it only a problem when making the image larger?

Perhaps this is all information that will vary depending on who is printing it - apologies, I've really confused myself!

For the web version, I simply changed the DPI to 72. In the "Save for Web" options I then have control over the overall dimensions, and I saved it in a way that kept the file-size to about 300kb.

Any tips or info appreciated.
Thanks.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]