Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
RED CAMERA:Red Camera ForumRed Camera Tutorials / ArticlesHD TutorialsHD High-End Forum

Re: Why 4k?

COW Forums : RED Camera

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Aaron zanderRe: Why 4k?
by on Jan 8, 2008 at 3:30:55 am

Thanks for the perspective Todd. You are very right age has nothing to do with being able to use the camera, and your friend sounds like a lot of people I know, I was talking to my DP this mourning about why 4k, and what he and I agree on is the quality that revolves around it, to down res down to 1080 or even standard def creates amazing images, and for the commercial broadcast world, thats what matters, is how good it looks. and for the price and affordable transfer rates.

AS far as users are concerned, there are people who shouldn't use this camera, there are people who shouldn't be allowed to touch film either. I have a good friend who is a DP, does amazing this with HD footage, but give him a film camera, and it's basically throwing film out the window. The variables involved just aren't his thing, understanding film speed and how the negative works and loading just all combined into one cluster *&%$ of a situation. It's not that he's stupid or incapable, but it's not something that meshes with his gears. I'm sure there are many people who would have the same issues with the RED. Now that being said, I think the red is a very good crossroads between standard HD and FIlm, it's looks and feel as well as it's operation has many intrinsic values associated with shooting film. Also it's shorter record time (w/o the HDD) is much like your standard 400 foot load. It's ease of use is also a good stepping stone.

And your absolutely right, If you can shoot the same thing on a DVX and have it feel and look good, then stepping up to 4k won't do anything other than make your flaws look that much worse. I think learning technology ad experimenting can help you boost your skills, and seeing your flaws in 4k is certainly a good lesson to learn, and at a relatively in expensive cost compared to making those mistakes with film.

Should every DP switch to the red, definitely not, nor should every high school grad with some extra graduation money. If you want to learn how to shoot and how to motivate a story with the camera, start small and work your way to a camera like the red.

Schools like mine really do help felicitate that. And It also proves your point. We got a bunch of HVX's and now the last thesis film shot on negative film was longer ago than I care to remember. And frankly it's sad. every project I saw go by me since we started using the HVX's (and believe me there have been many) there are a lot more mistakes, and the quality of the 1/3 inch ccd is lack luster at best, and though it's "HD" it's about as HD as the bolex is a feature film camera. It's great for training and learning but the fact that people have given up 16 and 35mm cameras for cheap throw away footage. Footage that if you make a mistake there's no worry no waste of film or real dollars, just some time. And to me if you are willing to treat any project like that, you will never be able to grow as a cinematographer or story teller.

Now we all make mistakes, it's the name of the game, and especially at film school. We are paying to make mistakes. But the thing with cheap media is there are fewer consequences. It's like plastic cars, if you back into a poll and your bumper bounces back, are you really gonna learn from that and make sure your clear next time, or are you going to back into a car next time, if you had a normal car and you had to live with that dent or pay for the repairs you'll remember next time, that you can save yourself the shame, and the 500 bucks of bumper repair (that's actually a bit cheap isn't it?) if you just look behind you.

With no consequences comes no learning. And if you aren't learning you can't get better.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but it should be stated, Why 4k? Well because you can, there is no better reason or worse reason. Is the camera right for every situation, probably not, could it be, yea, in the same way a 35mm camera could be right for your wedding videographer (yes I know that's an oxymoron). should the aspiring shooter use the red, well If he can sure go grab it. But it won't make you a better dp. Like wise if you are a film shooter and you want to take a step onto the wild and crazy HD frontier, id say this is great way to start, it looks and feels a lot like a 35 camera body, unlike many of it's competitors which are mostly plastic and rubber the metal body balances and feels a lot like a film body, short and stalky unlike the very long AJ panasonic series of cameras.

-Zander

oh PS, Todd tell your friend if he's trying to shoot out of that wet paper bag, his exposure is going to suck, bu due to it's wetness it's most likely translucent and will act as diffusion. Then again, the lights will most likely dry it out, and he's SOL in a dark paper bag. I recommend at least an 800 ISO shooting WFO (:

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:
  • Why 4k? by Alex Huber on Jan 3, 2008 at 4:07:23 pm
    • Re: Why 4k? by Jeremy Garchow on Jan 3, 2008 at 7:09:00 pm
      • Re: Why 4k? by Todd at Fantastic Plastic on Jan 3, 2008 at 8:14:54 pm
    • Re: Why 4k? by Graeme Nattress on Jan 3, 2008 at 8:28:01 pm
    • Re: Why 4k? by gary adcock on Jan 3, 2008 at 11:00:18 pm
      • Re: Why 4k? by Alex Huber on Jan 3, 2008 at 11:49:14 pm
        • Re: Why 4k? by Jeremy Garchow on Jan 4, 2008 at 2:49:57 am
        • Re: Why 4k? by gary adcock on Jan 4, 2008 at 10:03:33 pm
      • Re: Why 4k? by Steve Wargo on Jan 4, 2008 at 5:32:07 am
        • Re: Why 4k? by Ramona Howard on Jan 5, 2008 at 5:26:51 am
          • Re: Why 4k? by ken hon on Jan 5, 2008 at 3:17:27 pm
            • Re: Why 4k? by Todd at Fantastic Plastic on Jan 5, 2008 at 5:26:07 pm
              • Re: Why 4k? by Alex Huber on Jan 5, 2008 at 6:56:47 pm
              • Re: Why 4k? by Jeremy Garchow on Jan 5, 2008 at 7:53:05 pm
                • Re: Why 4k? by Todd at Fantastic Plastic on Jan 5, 2008 at 9:50:30 pm
          • Re: Why 4k? by Steve Wargo on Jan 5, 2008 at 5:45:29 pm
            • Re: Why 4k? by Barend Onneweer on Jan 5, 2008 at 7:52:07 pm
              • Re: Why 4k? by Graeme Nattress on Jan 7, 2008 at 3:16:22 pm
              • Re: Why 4k? by Ramona Howard on Jan 9, 2008 at 7:51:58 pm
                • Re: Why 4k? by Barend Onneweer on Jan 9, 2008 at 9:21:50 pm
                  • Re: Why 4k? by Graeme Nattress on Jan 9, 2008 at 9:35:27 pm
                    • Re: Why 4k? by Ramona Howard on Jan 9, 2008 at 10:10:24 pm
            • Re: Why 4k? by gary adcock on Jan 5, 2008 at 9:09:44 pm
              • Re: Why 4k? by Aaron zander on Jan 7, 2008 at 5:24:21 am
                • Re: Why 4k? by Jeremy Garchow on Jan 7, 2008 at 2:58:33 pm
                • Re: Why 4k? by Todd at Fantastic Plastic on Jan 7, 2008 at 5:58:57 pm
                  • Re: Why 4k? by Jeremy Garchow on Jan 7, 2008 at 6:28:18 pm
                  • Re: Why 4k? by Aaron zander on Jan 8, 2008 at 3:30:55 am

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]