Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
RED CAMERA:Red Camera ForumRed Camera Tutorials / ArticlesHD TutorialsHD High-End Forum

Re: Long Term Storage Solutions for Red Camera

COW Forums : RED Camera

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Eric WeinerRe: Long Term Storage Solutions for Red Camera
by on Mar 10, 2010 at 8:13:37 pm

I feel a little better to learn other people are using LTO. I have a VXA-2 drive and library combo from Tandberg data. But the software that came with it, Retrospect, feels a little, 2003. It crashes a lot and doesn't seem to be very reliable. What programs do you guys use to interface with the LTO?

Also I'll look into Cache-A LTO. I've never heard the term before. Right now the largest tapes we can purchase with our current LTO are 160 (320 with compression). How do you guys feel about LTO compression? Does it actually make Red Camera files and projects smaller? Has anyone had trouble restoring from an LTO tape with compression? Does the compression come from the program used, or is it hardwired into the LTO tape backup. (I'm worried I'll compress a tape, and then later have a new LTO machine and not be able to get my files back.)

One more question. Drives in a vault sound like a good idea, but is there anything I should do to make sure that the drives are in good shape after a few years? We have a lot of footage that we have to go back to on a regular basis even years after it was originally shot.

Also anyone have any experience with backup up to a large Raid 6 drive array? I feel like that would last much longer because I could swap out failing drive slowly. I'm thinking something like a Raid 6, and a mirror of that raid as well. Does that seem like overkill?

I'm hoping in the future, we get huge flash storage drives. That seems more stable over a long period to me.

Thanks so far guys!

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]