Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Re: Strange halo effects when playback on HDTV

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Nick WhiteRe: Strange halo effects when playback on HDTV
by on Apr 15, 2012 at 5:09:31 am

No expert, except at finding trouble....so maybe I can start help. Bout time I paid a little back in:)

My pet bugbear is 25p frame jitter, caused by refresh rate etc. I can't watch many TV shows any more....so I know how it feels when you discover a fault in the process, and it really bugs you. Often I feel that most people do not notice this stuff

My source is 1980 1020 p.

Firstly, you say that the PC shows no artefacts. I can actually see a very faint halo around your post of the PC snapshot.

Secondly, I know to my annoyance that HDMI - connected full HD TV shows those artefacts anyway, even on PC-generated text etc. It shows around areas of very high contrast. Most video gets away with it, but your source is particularly demanding.

I also notice a fair bit of moire in the posted snapshots, but I am not sure if that is from the video, or jpeg compression when you took the snap. The frame size of the jpg is large and the file size small, so the moire could be that.If you reckon that the moire in the sky is caused by the snapshot settings, try to save the snapshot with a much higher jpg quality. Hope I am not throwing confusion in here.....

I took some of my video, and rendered using your settings. There are a couple of light poles and trees up against the sky. They show a faint version of your problem, less because the contrast is not so great and the background lighter, which somewhat disguises the effect. I tried a Sony AVCHD render as well, with similar settings, and the halo is still there. This is all on my PC so far.I also did an x264 render with an external codec, and the same result.

To simplify things, I left DVD Arch out of it, and simply played the files to my HDMI - connected TV, using only a USB thumb drive to transfer. The halos are there, in several different formats of render.

So I have no solutions, have learned a couple of things, and AFAICS have at least simplified the problem a little.

There is a tute somewhere on the Web about the BEST way to render in Vegas. IT involves using external rendering as well as internal.

Having ranted on, and provided no more than more problems, I am now going to explore other renders, to see if this can be at least partially overcome.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]