Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Re: OT-Someone's asking for copies of videos I shot and edited

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Nigel O'NeillRe: OT-Someone's asking for copies of videos I shot and edited
by on Feb 2, 2012 at 10:55:49 am

Charities or community TV stations will expect something for nothing, and then want more.

I spend about 100 hours per year doing camera and editing work for various Queensland scouting organisations. The money goes towards putting on live theatre productions for costumes, equipment replacement for sound and lighting (but not video - we use media equipment loaned by a University A/V dept) venue hire and props. There's about 100 hundred of us, some who put in 400-500 hours because their kids are still involved or used to be involved.

I had no connection with the Scouts prior to this, but have learnt lots and gained experience from working with sound, lighting and video professionals using broadcast quality equipment. I did not walk away totally empty handed.

It's always tough to charge a charity or community based organisation for work done, especially if there are others doing the same. I believe the charity still needs your consent to use any of the footage as you own the copyright to it, unless you unwittingly signed it away. They can risk not asking you, and you could rightly sue them, but is it worth the effort?

If you sell you work, is it going to be a 'right to use' only, or are you going to completely sell all rights to it. If the latter, and the footage turns out to be a money earner, you have no entitlement to royalties or such.

My system specs: Intel i7 970, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 10e (x32/x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]