Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Re: Small Form Factor Editing Machine

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Nigel O'NeillRe: Small Form Factor Editing Machine
by on Feb 13, 2011 at 11:19:05 am

Matt

80 GB for a C: drive might be a bit on the low side. Your programs will fill them quickly, especially with temporary/render files which are not always easy to track down. Generally, you should keep your drive below 80% capacity. Most hard drives get inefficient as they get full.

The only consideration of a small form factor is heat gets concentrated in a smaller case, and these i7's pump out a lot of heat under load. It can stress some components to the point of failure. As I live in Eastern Australia, it can get to mid 30 degrees centigrade. My editing suite once got to about 40C (104F) when someone accidentally closed the door in the middle of a big render.

I run 5 HDD's and 3 burners to save all the mucking around. In your case, you might want to consider getting an e-SATA drive caddy if you have not already, and swap drives in and out. USB 3.0 drives are still quite rare in Australia, so HDD's are the cheapest option for me.

Given that Vegas takes advantage of NVIDIA video cards, have you considered the GTX470 or even the GTX580?

Intel i7 920, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 10 (x32/x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]